Sunday, January 18, 2015

New Discoveries about Yorkshire with an Emphasis on Barnsley

Ok let's start off the back with some positives. I have to admit that coming back to Barnsley, or Yorkshire, there has been some considerable changes from the eight years prior. 

I do have to admit that Barnsley, or Yorkshire, still needs to some work to be done, but again, let's think of the positive.

Now that I'm older it is easy to admit that Yorkshire is beautiful. Despite being such a densely packed country there is a lot of foliage. Going up north, you really see the beauty of the land.

One day dad and I went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and had a hike around the park. I took a couple of photos to show how pretty the land was.  


the land was owned by the Wentworths








A well on the land




Wait a minute...



This place was a big thing to me and it displayed a unique quality of Yorkshire. Instead of the traditional historical museum, or fun park, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park is an oddly amazing art center centralized in West Bretton in Wakefeild. Well, I don't really know if it is centralized in West Bretton because I don't really understand addresses in England, but it is in West Bretton.

The Yorkshire Sculpture Park is on Bretton Hall. Bretton Hall was an 18th-century estate that later transformed into a college in the mid 20th-century. Established in 1977, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park
became well known for its installations from famous artists like Ai Weiwei, James Turell, Andy Goldsworthy, and Nigel Hall.







My dad had talked on and on about this place for the last couple of years and like any normal child I tuned him out. Only until I hiked its path last month was I able to understand how cool it was. 

The whole area contains a beautiful juxtaposition of nature and art which was occasionally hidden from the naked eye. As you meander through this "other world" you would always turn a corner to see a beautiful statue looking down at you. This park was something unique. Something that should definitely be seen.

I think a lot of the artists were inspired by the concept of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. The area seems quite in tune with the layout of nature. When you're walking around you never really feel like anything is out of place, instead you feel a sense of calmness and wonder on how such a large amount of land could possibly be a haven for art and artistic interests a like.

I had previously mentioned that there has been some major improvements of Yorkshire and Barnsley and the Yorkshire Sculpture Art Park is a grand example of that. While I had previously seen Yorkshire as an wasteland of what was once profitable in the 1970s, now it seems to be a growing vibrant entity evolving into a area of art and beauty.



Inspired by Scandinavian
nature goddess
 



I'll write more soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment