Monday, December 7, 2015

How to be Vegan in Joshua Tree... SPOILER!!! IT'S FUCKING EASY

The inspiration to go to Joshua Tree for a short weekend was commanded by my dad. My friend had come to visit from Massachusetts, and originally we were planning on having a calm relaxing day. Once dad came in the room, he ordered us to go to Joshua Tree for the weekend, "RIGHT NOW!"

So we got up and left. 

Going up the ten on a friday morning is R.E.L.A.X.I.N.G! It is such an easy drive and we managed to stop and see the Cabazon dinosaurs.

Now, referring to the title, I have to admit that Joshua Tree is quite an easy place to be vegan in. Joshua Tree is a refuge for hippy westerners and new age couples alike. I found that there were a surplus of healthy food markets as well as restaurants all throughout the town, and a lot of flowing hippy dresses wherever you looked. I think I'll write about a couple of activities we did in Joshua Tree another post to strengthen my claim, but for right now, I'll talk about the food.  

Cabazon Dinosaur 
My friend and I had bought some snacks for the ride so we weren't hungry until we reached Pappy + Harriets. 

Pappy + Harriets is a restaurant/bar in Pioneertown right next to Joshua Tree. It is known to be a hidden gem of one of the best music venues in California. Inside you can see a whole 1970s western motif with homage to those that had played their before, as well as the icons, Pappy and Harriet. While it seems like this place would be terrible for a vegan, mostly because of the "macho" image, there are some options you can go with.


Outside Pappy and Harriets

Pappy + Harriets offers a couple of vegetarian/ vegan options. As we all know there is always the standard salad, but after a two hour car ride I wanted something a bit more substantial. I asked for the veggie burger but that wasn't vegan so I went with the vegetarian tacos.

As much as I like the atmosphere of Pappy + Harriets, and believe me I will go back when I am able to, the truth is I didn't really like those tacos. Even though they were vegan and I am thankful there was something on that menu for me to eat, the tacos were just so-so. I didn't really feel like there was a lot of flavor, and I felt like I was focusing more on the smooth sensation in the avocado in the taco more than the unami experience in the meal. However truth be told, I believe that my food didn't really matter that much about the review of the restaurant. This is a place you have to go whether you like the food or not. Pappy + Harriets is a Californian experience, not simply just a restaurant/ bar. The one drawback about Pappy + Harriets is that I didn't get to see the live show that night. I really wish I did, but I'll do it next time.


Pappy and Harriets
  • 53688 Pioneertown Rd
    Pioneertown, CA 92268
Right next to Pappy + Harriets was Pioneertown. Pioneertown was once a 1940s movie set that was abandoned after the movie was shot. Now it is a string of stores and activities all connected in the western style theme. We managed to walk around there for a hot minute however it was getting dark so we went straight to our Super 8.


Pioneertown

We didn't have anything for dinner since we had a late lunch at Pappy + Harriets, and for breakfast we had the complimentary breakfast food at the Super 8, so before we left Joshua Tree we decided to eat at one more place. We ate at Natural Sisters Cafe.

The Natural Sisters Cafe is one of your perfect vegan brunch places to eat at. It is a non-processed natural foodery that tastes quite clean and happy. I had created my own sandwich with hummus and onion and on the side I had a quinoa salad. It was good, easy as that. Even though it is a bit expensive, their portions are LARGE. I mean I couldn't even finish my sandwich. I actually had the rest of it for dinner later that night. 


Natural Sisters Cafe
  • 61695 29 Palms Hwy
    Ste B
    Joshua Tree, CA 92252
Joshua Tree is a hippy "new-age" mecca for vegans so there is really nothing to fear about taking a trip here. While it might be because of the cosmic energy of the land, the truth is Joshua Tree offers happy healthy vegan food wherever you go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment