Sunday, March 17, 2013

My first korean wedding!!!

Today was a exciting day.

My across the hall neighbor, who has been giving me various forms of food as well as awkwardly inviting me over to her house for various parties, got married today and I was invited.


In what word, it was unique.


I've only been to one wedding in my life, but I decided I would never want to have a korean wedding.


It was at the hotel near my place and it was in this big tacky room on the second floor.



This is the hall were everyone met up








The weird wedding hall

So I was told by boss that I would be able or, I should be able, to bring a gift to the wedding. Actually he urged me to bring a gift instead of money. Usually for Korean weddings, people bring money instead of gifts. A coworker had a jar of raw honey so she offered for me to give that as a gift. I wrapped that up and made a card. 



I forgot my neighbor's husband's name so I used the name Han. I 
hope to GOD that is his surname and not hers.....





However, my boss is a liar. I came to the wedding hoping to see everyone bringing gifts, and it turns out it was just me. I was running from one area to another trying to figure out what to do with my shitty jar of honey. I basically turned it in to the table of people collecting money and ran away.






The couple had three photos set up. One was in a traditional Korean outfit, another had a western style wedding, and the last had them badmintoning? I didn't get why that was there at all. 

My friend and I went into the main area where they were getting married. There was no where to sit so we stood in the back with the rest. The bride and the groom were really pretty and cute together. Here are all the photos I took of the wedding.




























































She got a bit emotional


It was sweet


Aww








The groom's friend started singing karaoke style. That was the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me at a wedding. 








































Pretty!

















































For some weird reason the groom motorboated the bride. Everyone thought it was funny. 


I didn't.






Hmm....

















The weirdest thing was the giant tv and dj guy which talked into a microphone throughout the whole wedding. It seemed more like a tacky "sweet 16" party instead of a wedding. However that is a normal thing around here.



The outside of the hall was surrounded by these funeral like floral arrangements. It is pretty... but its too much of a cultural difference for me to appreciate it.






Afterwards we broke off and went to the buffet upstairs. Buffets in South Korea are a big thing. This was my food ticket.



And this was my vegan meal.


I assumed the zucchini was fried with a egg batter so I picked it off. There was this dried fruit thing that had dried figs!!!


This was their "just married" car but I don't think they used it. I think it was just there for decoration.

Like I wrote before... cultural differences made the wedding more unique than anything.







This is the outside of the hotel

This one too!



I wore this for the wedding. This might be the annoying "myspace whore" pictures but I thought it wouldn't hurt to share.














What do you guys think?



No comments:

Post a Comment