Wednesday, June 5, 2013

China Part two: the food and food related items

Even though there aren't a lot of items to talk about, I think the food portion is the most interesting aspect of the trip. Honestly I think food is the most interesting thing about my life.

On our first night in Beijing we went to the famous Wangfujing Night Market. This market is about three or four blocks of weird and strange food. Even though they did have fruit kabobs, I didn't partake in any of the taste testing. Instead, my friends enjoyed a ostrich kabob. I happily took a plethora of pictures.

This is my "nice" shot with some editing

Same with this one
This one was all natural.


                                     
 Starfish homie.


Silkworms and shark

spiders and roaches

centipede 

centipede and snake

ostrich


After the market we went to this fantastic little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that listed all the ingredients used to make the meals! That was such a relief because I was nervous on being forced to eat a meat broth. I had the stir fried celery and cashews with the lightly fried tofu in a sweet and sour sauce. It was SOOOO GOOD! I took too many photos because I was so proud on what we all had.

celery and cashews
art shot


the others had fried rice and kung pow chicken


We did go a restaurant for lunch the next day however I guess I never took any pictures. What I had was the vegetarian chow mein and I asked them to take out the egg. I asked them several times if they cooked it with any animal products and they said no. I still don't know for sure if that is true, but at least my heart was in the right place. We also shared a pumpkin pie which was divine.

The majority of my meals was actually food that I packed ahead of time. I was expecting China to be far less accommodating for my vegan needs, so I decided to pack some food so I would be prepared. A majority of what I ate were prunes, which, let me tell you, are great. 

However I am still jonsing for some dates.



No comments:

Post a Comment