Saturday, March 2, 2013

I don't even know if I should be talking about this...

So I don't really know if I should write about this but I find this cultural aspect of Korea utterly interesting. I don't think I'll get in trouble since no one knows that I have a blog, and Woffke isn't my real name...

Yeah... it isn't

With those two factors in hand, I decided to write about the Korean bribing system.

See before I went to Korea, I did a lot of research, and by research I mean I looked at other people's blogs. Even though I did learn a lot, no one ever told me about parents bribing the teachers.

In the schools in South Korea, parents buy the teachers gifts. You might be thinking, "well I bought my teacher a gift for christmas or just before I left blah blah blah" but that is totally different. In Korea, the parents buy a teacher a gift to say, "hey I know you have a lot of kids in my kid's class, but here's a little somethin' somethin' so you can pay extra attention to mine."

Basically, a lot of teachers get bribed here.

Here is some of my bribes...


dried persimmon


The same dried persimmon

Japanese chopsticks

The same Japanese chopsticks

I really don't have any judgmental observation about this cultural norm. It's more of a "huh" kind of feeling. I just thought I should share.

And...I hope I get some more goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment