Saturday, February 2, 2013

American Essentials to Bring if You're Traveling to another Country as a Vegan

ok. 

I know it has been a while since I last wrote on this blog but it has been a very busy long week.

A. VERY. LONG. WEEK.

However despite all the hurdles I've seem to come across, there is one thing that has sustained my sanity. The small amount of vegan foods that I brought over from the United States have been my savior.

I figured it might be nice to write about the items that I've enjoyed, but more importantly, to write about how essential these items are to bring when traveling to another country.

Alright let us start off with #1

      1.  Quick and easy dinner packets.




Koyo Ramen Packets


Road's End Organics Mac and Cheese



Something that is easy to make and doesn't require a lot of work is awesome when you are getting settled in a scary environment  When I first arrived in Seoul, I didn't have anything to eat except what I brought from home. I was super jet lagged and super hungry. It was SO relaxing to quickly boil some water and make a bowl of ramen; it calmed my anxious nerves.

However if I didn't have that situation I would have had to deviate from being a vegan. The concept of veganism does not make sense to South Koreans. They understand "vegetarianism" but "vegan" is completely foreign. When I explained I was vegan to my boss, he kept calling it "vegar". 

To have something easy and simple to make allows you to stay true to yourself, but also allows you to calmly devise a plan on what to do when you go through your American vegan food.

    
Now for #2

     2.  Snack and comfort foods


Lassen's Kale Chips



Uncle Eddies Vegan Cookies

It's good to have a little bad. Especially when you feel alone. 

While I've been here I have met a small group of "foreigners" or westerners. None of them have really reached out to me and said "hey do you want to go to _____?" This is maybe a Californian thing to do, since everyone I know back home always takes the initiative to lend a hand when they see someone in distress, but I find it strange that no one has done the same to me, but ehh, to each their own. 

What has been useful about both of my specific snacks, is that both have helped me in two separate worrisome times. When I first arrived to Korea I found myself not eating any dark vegetables, which concerned me because I felt my nutrition was being affected. I don't know about you (vegan reader) but when I converted to veganism I found myself wanting to eat more and more vegetables. While I was freaking out about not eating enough dark greens, the Lassens Kale Chips offered a small alleviation for that. The same issue derived when I moved in to my second apartment. Since the previous owner never bothered to clean up the apartment, I came to my my new home full of trash. There was rotten food in the refrigerator, there was used beauty products throughout the apartment, and there was dirty laundry in the hamper. I still don't understand why you would leave your used clothes behind, but I digress. I was already exhausted from my first day teaching the kids at my school, so I was really overwhelmed at the sight of it all. Despite my couple of hours cleaning the filth, I needed something COMFORTING to make me feel at ease. Uncle Eddies Vegan chocolate chip cookies with walnuts were just that. Man, while I was sobbing, these cookies knew what to do to make everything feel just a little bit better. 

Ok, I saved the BEST for last...

     3. Protein and multivitamin supplements


Bragg Liquid Aminos


Deva Vegan Multivitamins


Red Star Nutritional Yeast



We have to care about our health. It is part of growing up. When I decided that I cared more about the ethical treatment of animals over my own satisfaction in the taste of meat, I knew that one of my major responsibilities would be finding a harmonious balance of my nutrition. That would mean focusing on how much protein I would consume. 

Wherever you go, you need to bring some nutritional yeast and some vegan multivitamins. You don't know what kind of foods you will find in the country you're visiting, so these would save you and your health. 

OH I ALMOST FORGOT!!

     4. Anything else that you can fit in your bag.


Trader Joe's Organic Red Quinoa

I can honestly say that I am starting to get sick of rice. I have it every single time I go out. I am saving this baby and storing it like a squirrel does with nuts for the winter. If you can fit it in your bag I say bring it along. It is better to overpack than underpack.

Well, that is everything that I brought, hopefully I can save it long enough to make it through the next month.

tata for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment